Monday, December 14, 2009

A New Stereotype

I'm sick of hearing about boring math teachers. I think every time I hear that, a little part of me cringes. I don't think that math teachers are boring. In fact every math teacher I have ever known has been a very down to earth approachable figure. I think as a teacher, I for one, need to clarify that. Early on in my classes I need to give students the feeling that I am a great resource and should always be considered for help. I think that so often, people struggle in math and because they struggle they lose interest. That does not mean that the teacher was boring or the subject was. But rather, the student did not commit themselves. So, I want to keep all my students in line. Secondly, I would hate to have a dull class. I want to design my class around interesting activities and find ways that both keep students interested in the subject, while also active learning. There are so many ways that I can do that, I just can't wait to rid our society of this awful stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment